Monday, October 5, 2009

October

Suddenly it feels like...October, my 21 years of living has taught me what October should feel, taste, smell and look like. I am willing to bet that I could tell that it was October without calendars. It is crazy how just one day can suddenly change the atmosphere, it feels like as soon as midnight hit septemeber 30th, October didn't waste anytime to kick in and start cooling down the air. The new chill can only be described as October, it is refreshing when compared to the heat that beats you throughout the summer months. Although refreshing, I am sad to see summer end. Around this time I usually find myself conversing with ecstatic snow-lovers who just can't wait for the ski resorts to open, and I usually reply "yeah I'm not much of a snow person soo..." before I can finish my sentence I will always get at least one or two powderpuffs interupt in exclamation and disbelief- "you live in Utah, and you dont like the snow???!!?!!?"

That will not be the case this winter season. I am going to transform into a snow-lover, snow bunny if you will hah. I will learn to snowboard if it breaks my bones, I will sled, I will have snowball fights, I will smile as I almost slip on ice but barely recover pretending like I never wasn't in complete control, I will laugh as I shake frozen for 15 minutes as my lovely 2- wheel-drive car heats up, and I will remain calm as I slide around the black-ice-covered roads going 5 miles an hour.

Ahhh, winter. I'm just so excited...

The color of everything changes, like the sun is shaded with an orange colored pencil and lays a sheet of transparent orange syran wrap on the earth.

What does October have to offer besides a slow retail month leading to an empty AT&T store and a bored Amy resorting to writing blogs...with the sounds of all boy coworkers talking about ghosts? A night for kids to get lots of free candy leading to sick stomachs and dentist bills. A night for girls to dress in the smallest amount of material possible despite the freezing weather. His birthday. Haunted houses! Corn mazes. Scary movies. Cuddling with the excuse that you're just cold...body heat! Red runny noses. Candycorn and spiderwebs. Dark at 7pm. Sweaters and extra blankies.

Well I am prepared. So bring on the chills in all forms.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mame,

    I love this post. It's really amazing how you've captured what I feel in my heart about fall. lol, I love the powderpuffs comment. I work with avid ski goers and I always get "you've lived in Utah all your life and never even been to a resort?" yeah bitches, I'm a sun seeker, what can I say? I do love the fall and the season change and there is really something about snowfall around Christmas, I love you. keep writing, you are really creatively amazing all around. xoxo lil holl holl

    ReplyDelete